Preventative Care Includes Regular Dental Exams
At your first visit, Dr. Regan DDS will conduct an in-depth dental exam. After that, your regular visits will consist of the dentist and a hygienist regularly performing the following procedures:
- X-rays: X-rays can help find tooth decay (cavities), tumors, cysts, and even bone loss of the jaw. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral Evaluation: This includes looking for signs of periodontal disease and cancer. The face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, and gums are all checked for obvious signs of oral cancer.
- Examination of Cavities: The surface of every tooth is checked for early signs of decay so they can be fixed quick and easy.
- Examination of Previous Dental Work: Fillings, crowns, and more are all checked during your regular dental check-up.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Every 6 months, it is recommended you get a professional dental cleaning (prophylaxis). These cleanings will be performed by registered dental hygienists. Your hygienist will also conduct a dental exam with Dr. Regan DDS at every cleaning appointment.
Apart from the dental exam, your hygienist will:
- Remove Tartar (Calculus): Tartar is plaque that was never removed from the tooth and is now hardened and stuck. It takes dental tools to remove tartar as it is fixed to the tooth, above and below the gum line.
- Remove Plaque: Plaque is bacteria that causes periodontal disease. It is hard/almost impossible to see on the teeth sometimes and can cause many problems including bad breath.
- Polish Teeth: Excess surface stains that aren’t removed with brushing and rinsing can be improved by polishing.